How to Size Your Clamp
Available in large, regular, or juvenile to meet all types of sizes. Finding the best fit is easy, using a soft measuring tape all you need to do is measure around the shaft of your penis, compress lightly.
Place your thumb and forefinger near the middle of your shaft. Apply gentle pressure, enough to stop the flow of urine, and then you are ready to measure the area around the shaft of your penis.
- 3 inches or more, purchase the large clamp.
- 2 inches, purchase the regular clamp.
- 1½ inches, purchase the juvenile clamp.
How to Apply Your Clamp
- Always start with freshly washed and dried hands.
- Place your penis between the 2 foam pads on the clamp. The clamp should be in the middle of your shaft.
- Begin tightening clamp to compress your urethra. The large and regular clamps each have 5 settings that adjust the pressure on your urethra. Use the ratchet catch to adjust the pressure. To release the catch, press inward on both of the spring wire loops. Only the juvenile clamp is not adjustable.
- Shape the upper foam pad with your fingers for optimal fit and comfort.
- Release your clamp to urinate
- Re-apply clamp after urinating. Try to place clamp on a slightly different part of your shaft after each re-application.
- Urinate: Approximately every 1 to 2 hours remove clamp to urinate. This will help you to avoid urinary tract infections.
- Move Clamp Around: Every 2 hours, move the clamp up or down your shaft. Do not keep it clamped for more than 2 hours in the same place.
- Not for Sleeping: Do NOT useat night while you are sleeping. Switch to incontinence products for bladder leakage during the night.
- Not Too Tight: Avoid restricting blood circulation by ratcheting clamp too tight on penis. This will help you maintain blood circulation and prevent skin irritation. It is important that you have proper sensation in your penis so that you can feel anything that is painful or irritating.
- Inspect: Perform weekly inspections for signs of cracking, foam deterioration or discoloration.
- Replace: Every 3 months replace your clamp. Replace sooner if the foam has worn down.
Follow the steps below to clean your clamp. Make sure to clean your clamp when it gets soiled.
- Hand wash your clamp in a sink with mild soap and warm water. Do not use bleach, detergent, or hot water on your clamp.
- Rinse your clamp thoroughly in cool, clean water.
- Gently squeeze the foam to get rid of excess water.
- Let your clamp dry in a cool place away from excess heat or direct sunlight. Do not put your clamp in the washer or dryer or use a blow dryer on it.
When to Call Your Doctor
If you experience any of the following symptoms while your clamp is on or off call your doctor or nurse.
- Swelling, discoloration, or discharge from your penis
- Skin irritation
- Loss of sensation in your penis
- Pain or irritation on your penis
- Any other unusual symptoms
Since 1997 Allegro Medical has been a leading supplier of incontinence supplies to healthcare providers and consumers. If you need to purchase incontinence products, rely on AllegroMedical.com for all of your incontinence needs.