First of all, Do You Need a Humidifier?
Central humidifiers are built into home heating and air conditioning systems and are designed to humidify the whole house.
Ultrasonic humidifiers produce a cool mist with ultrasonic vibration.
Surround Air MiniAire Humidifier – A palm-sized humidifier that’s perfect for your office or car. Weighs less than 1 lb.
SonicAire Humidifier – Ultrasonic cool mist with built-in air purifying ionizer. 2 gallon tank for up to 30 hours of operation without refills.
Impeller humidifiers produce a cool mist with a rotating disk.
Sunbeam Cool Mist Impeller Humidifier – Perfect for small to medium-sized rooms. Produces a refreshing cool mist. Contemporary design.
Evaporative humidifiers use a fan to blow air through a wet wick, filter or belt.
Care-Free Humidifier Plus – 2.5 gallon. PermaWick, mechanical humidistat, NiteGlo night light and 2-speed whisper quiet Hunter fan. Needs no regular maintenance. Clean once a year. Triple antibacterial SafeSystem protects 100% agains bacteria, molds & spores.
Steam vaporizers use electricity to create steam that cools before leaving the machine. Avoid this type of humidifier if you have children; hot water inside this type of humidifier may cause burns if it’s spilled.
Sunbeam Warm Mist Vaporizer Humidifier – Produces a soothing warm mist to combat coughs and colds. Great for small rooms. Up to 14 hours on 1 filling. Sleek and compact. Easy to clean.
- Keep your humidifier clean and maintained or you could get sick. Dirty reservoirs and filters quickly grow bacteria and mold. Read Is Your Humidifier Making You Sick?
- Talk to your doctor about using a humidifier if you have asthma or allergies.
- Test the humidity in your home with a hygrometer or “Mold Alert”. A healthy range is between 35% and 55%.
- Rule of thumb: 40°F outside 45% humidity inside; 20°F out, 35% in; 0°F out, 25% in, -10°F out, 20% in.
- Move to another State if it’s 10 below in the winter. Okay, anyway…
- High humidity can be remedied by an air conditioner or dehumidifier.
- Some rooms will be higher in humidity than others. Even if you have a central humidifier unit, you may need to regulate some rooms with separate units.
- You can remove excess humidity in kitchen and baths by running the vent/fan during cooking and bathing, and afterwards for about 20 minutes.
- You may consider a cool mist humidifier for children, so they don’t risk accidental steam burns.