Monthly Archives: September 2009
Getting older is a blessing, for sure, but even longevity has its price. Creaky, sore joints. Sometimes when I stand up I sound like an old rocking chair making a bag of popcorn. And how about when it rains, or your hands get cold and you can barely bend your fingers? For some, these are just minor aches and pains, but for others they are the result of Osteoarthritis, or Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) – the most common type of arthritis. There are many types of arthritis, some more debilitating than others.
Did you know that arthritis affects millions of Americans after the age 50 and women are more often effected by arthritis?
Arthritis is caused when the cartilage in the joint deteriorates over time, causing bones to rub against each other which causes stiffness, pain and loss of movement in the joint. Arthritis typically affects weight bearing joints such as hands, hips, knees and the spine. Unfortunately, there is no “cure” for arthritis, though there are many treatments and products that can relieve pain.
Here is a list of Allegro’s customers’s favorite arthritis remedies, arthritis aides and arthritis pain relief products.
10 Most Popular Arthritis Products
1. Biofreeze – The Biofreeze 4 oz Tube, Biofreeze Roll-on 3 oz , Biofreeze Spray and Biofreez Gel Pump all make on the first page of our Arthritis Products Page and gets very high ratings so it must be good. It is a long lasting topical analgesic & pain reliever that contains ILEX, an herbal extract from South America. See all Biofreeze.
2. Car Caddie Helping Hand – Need a little help getting in and out of the car? This is made just for you. Super popular and highly rated, we’ve sold thousands. Even works to help get kids in and out of your SUV or pickup. Also in the Top 10, a similar product called the Handybar 3 in 1 Car Aid. 5 star rating!
3.Neckpro Cervical Traction Device – At-home traction for relief of neck pain. Uses a unique ratcheting device that delivers a more precise amount of cervical traction tension than the old conventional overdoor neck traction systems. Similar to what you would experience in a clinical setting.
4. Arthritis Gloves– Made of soft breathable cotton lycra, these gloves provide mild compression that warms your hands and helps increase circulation. Open fingertips for full freedom. Wear day or night. For edema, try the Norco Edema Glove that provides compression past your wrist.
5. UpEasy Lifting Cushion – Converts any chair into an automatic lift chair that will lift 80% of your body weight. Adjusts for various weights. Easily transportable with built-in handle.
6. Bamboo Shower Seat and Bath Bench– Its compact triangle shape fits into the shower stall or bathtub and it looks great! Made of eco-friendly bamboo, a 100% renewable resource. Height adjustable, with slip-resistant rubber tipped legs.
7. Light Relief Light Therapy– One of Allegro’s top products for several years now, this light therapy device emits energy in the infrared spectrum to provide topical warmth. A natural alternative to pain medication, the Light Relief eases arthritis pain and stiffness. Includes a travel bag.
8. Thermophore Moist Heat Pack – Moist heat is most often recommended by doctors. Why? Because moisture transfers the high heat deeper into tissues than ordinary dry heat pads providing temporary relief from rheumatic and arthritic pain. Increased blood flow is als a result of moist heat, which can relieve inflamed joints and help maintain flexibility. The heating pad draws moisture from the air and requires no water. Includes soft flannel cover. Also see the highly rated Thermophore Arthritis Pad.
9. Cando Gel Hand Exercise Balls – Recommended for arthritis, these exerise balls are used to help grip, strength, dexterity and mobility, as well as fine and gross motor skills. Can be microwaved or put in the freezer. Very soothing.
10. Spa-N-A-Box Portable Spa – A super economical way to have your own above-ground spa. Soothes arthritis pain for hours. Sets up on about 20 minutes and plugs into a regular household outlet. Put it on your patio, deck, on your boat or even in your c0ndo or apartment! Quiet operation. Seats 4 or 5 people.
BONUS: The Freedom Wand – Toilet Tissue Aid
See hundreds of arthritis products including braces, supports, over-the-counter remedies and medications, daily living aids, bed wedges, pillows, canes and much more in Shop By Condition: Arthritis.
Need a little help getting around? For many, cooler weather means Autumn outings, family travel and events galore. Allegro has hundreds of products to shore up your mobility stability, allowing you to increase your independence and get you on the move!
If you have a friend or loved one with decreased mobility, let them know about these products and share our fabulous discounts & promotions.
Preparing for house guests? It’s nice to have a walker, cane, rollator or transport wheelchair on hand if you have elderly visitors, especially over the holidays.
Cane, Crutch, Walker, Rollator, Transport Wheelchairs, Scooter & Knee Walker
Offset Cane with Strap – If you’re 4’4″ to 6’4″ and under 250 lbs, this is your cane. Great grip and stability.
Quick Change Crutches – Trade in your heavy old wooden crutches and get moving with a pair of these lightweight aluminum beauties. Quick, push button height adjustment.
Lightweight Forearm Crutches – One-piece molded cuff and hand grip for maximum safety & comfort. Cool colors.
Dual Release Adult Walker – Quiet operation, wide, deep frame. Lightweight aluminum. Large number of height adjustments. Terrific value.
Aluminum Rollator with 6″ Wheels– Ideal for indoor or outdoor use, this rolling walker is a terrific mobility aid for people with limited hand function. A special lock protects fingers from “snapback” injuries when the brake is released. Comes with a basket that can be mounted underneath or in front. Large 12″ x 12″ padded seat. Removable backrest. One handed folding. Wt. Capacity 300 lbs. Lifetime warranty.
Strolleasy Lightweight Portable Transport Wheelchair – Perfect for all activities, especially travel. Ultralight, this travel wheelchair weighs under 15 lbs. Folds up in 3 easy steps (no tools) and stores in its own carry bag with shoulder strap. Fits into most airplane overhead containers and easily into car trunks. Yeah! Brakes are foot operated by the caregiver.
Expedition 12″ Rear Wheel Transport Chair – Safe and comfy transport, this folding transport chair comes standard with fixed fully-padded arms, a fold-down back and swingaway footrests. Attendant-operated wheel locks. For users up to 250 lbs.
Ableware Wheelchair Cup Holder – Hands-free drink holder. What’s not to love? Holds a cup, glass, can or bottle. Also works on bed rails and other tubular frames. Easy to position.
Phantom 3-Wheel Scooter – Previously known as the Stringray, this super affordable scooter is LOADED. On board battery charger, flip back adjustable width arms, sleek stylish design. Super reliable and easy to use in the house or outside. Disassembles in 5 lightweight pieces. Fits in most car trunks so you can take it anywhere. Max speed 4 mph – up to 15 miles per charge. Order today for delivery at your home!
Knee Walker with Fixed Wheels – A great new alternative to standard crutches. Especially designed for those with a below-knee injury. Great for foot surgery recovery. Just put your knee of the injured leg on the knee pad and propel the knee walker around with your good leg. To steer, take a step with the good leg while gently lifting the handle and turning in the direction you want to go. Comes with brakes which can be adjusted for right or left handed use.
See all Canes
See all Crutches
See all Walkers & Rollators
See all Wheelchairs
See all Wheelchair Accessories
Thanks for your business and your referrals. It means a lot.
If you are looking for something to relax you, make you feel whole, balanced, flexible and pain free, you should try yoga. If you’ve done traditional exercise and got burned out or frustrated with your results, yoga may be the way to go. Middle aged and starting to “feel your age”? Try adding a gentle yoga stretch to your mornings and evenings and see what happens.
Its effects may be gradual, but yoga, when practiced regularly, will rock your mind, body and spirit.
The longer you go without stretching, repeating the same basic muscle movements every day, the more likely you will lose your range of motion and be unable to move freely. Yoga can help balance your body and keep it free of aches of pains. Even women in nursing homes who regularly participate in yoga classes have fewer complaints of aches & pains than women who are sedentary. It has also been proven to reduce medication requirments in those with asthma and has long been know to be more effective than splinting patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. If you have arthritis in your hands, you can reduce tenderness, pain during activity, and improve range of motion.
One of the major benefits of yoga is its effect on anxiety. Because yoga practice involves breathing and meditation, yoga practitioners are more likely to be calmer and less likely to react negatively to outside circumstances.
Getting Started in Yoga
First you need to do a little research and decide which type of yoga will best suit your personality, lifestyle and current level of fitness. I have taken yoga classes at yoga studios and at the gym, and I also have several yoga tapes for home practice. I enjoy both and choose whatever works best for my schedule and mood. I use my tapes every morning before breakfast. AllegroMedical.com’s most popular yoga DVD is Everyday Yoga – Hips and Knees DVD. It includes 5 different daily yoga practices that can be performed Monday through Friday, to keep it fresh.
Note to those who think they can’t do it: Even after practicing yoga for years I am by no means a pro at this, and if I can do it, anyone can. It’s how it makes me feel that keeps me going. I’ll never be able to bend like a pretzel, but hey, I do what I can and that’s enough. Remember, it’s called yoga ‘practice’.
To find a class in your area, check out the Yoga Journal Directory or your local paper. If you’re just starting out, a hatha or vinyasa class would probably be best. You can try other ones down the line. I have friends that swear by the “hot yoga” classes.
Yoga Equipment, Videos and Clothing
Yoga Mats – Also called sticky mats. You can sometimes rent or use a mat at a yoga studio or gym, but really you will want your own mat for hygiene reasons.
Yoga Starter Kit – This has everything a beginning yoga student needs, including yoga blocks, a tote bag to take to class, a sticky mat, straps and a postures poster for reference. You can also buy these essential yoga props, yoga foam blocks, yoga straps, a yoga mat and a small pillow or blanket separately.
Yoga Balls – Besides the essentials, there are some fun exercise balls and a FitBall Yoga DVD you might want to try at home.
See all Yoga Videos/DVDs
See all Exercise Books and Videos
Pants – A pair of shorts or sweatpants will do, but you might look for special yoga pants that are fitted but give full range of motion. Some are fitted at the top but slit at the bottom so you can check your alignment.
See all Yoga Equipment
See all Exercise/Fitness
The effects on your body from yoga are quite different that those you’ll find from traditional exercise. Yoga is slow, dynamic, static. Effort is minimized and awareness is internal. The parasympathetic nervous system and the sucortical regions of the brain dominates. Traditional exercise is the opposite. It involves maximum effort, muscle tension, cortical brain domination, forceful movements and external awareness. Yoga carries a low risk of injuring muscles and ligaments. Less so with exercise.
If you can, do both. If you want to get started on something that will unite your mind, body and spirit. Something that helps you find harmony, then I suggest yoga.
Namaste (I bow to you).
AllegroMedical.com has received a shipment of NIOSH certified filtering N95 Particulate Respirator FaceMasks and Non-N95 Facemasks for sale to the public and health care facilities. Quantities are extremely limited and we are unsure about future supply.
Respirator masks are very difficult to find because the April 2009 threat of the H1N1 Swine Flu virus caused the US supply of masks to sell out in just a few days. Due to the current preparation for what is now refered to as Novel Influenza A or Novel H1N1, we believe that these masks will sell out quickly.
Also available for sale are hospital-grade disinfectants for clinical and household use. See our Swine Flu Protection Products and our Cold/Flu Season Medical Supplies to order online.
- Iso-Tek Ear Loop Facemasks
- N95 Particulate Respirator Masks
Who Needs Facemasks and/or N95 Respirators?
Dated August 5, 2009, here are the CDC Interim Recommendations for Facemask and Respirator Use for Home, Community, and Occupational Settings for Non-Ill Persons to Prevent Infection with Novel H1N1.
If Novel H1N1 is in your Community:
- In unavoidable crowded settings, if you are at increased risk of severe illness from influenza (high risk persons) you should consider a facemask or respirator.
- If you work in a non-healthcare environment a facemask/respirator is not recommended but could be considered under certain circumstances for both non-high risk persons and high-risk persons.
- If you are a caregiver to someone in your home with a flu-like illness, use a facemask or respirator.
Health Care Workers
- If your occupation is in health care and you are caring for people with known, probable or suspected novel H1N1 or influenza-like illness, and you are in the non-high risk category, you should still wear a respirator mask.
- If you are in the high-risk category, you should consider temporary reassignment or wear a respirator mask.
Source: Table 1.
Here are the CDC Interim Recommendations For Facemask Use For Persons Ill With Confirmed, Probable, Or Suspected Novel Influenza A (H1N1) To Prevent Transmission Of Novel H1N1
Facemask preferred, if available and tolerable, or tissue to cover cough/sneeze if you are in these settings:
- Home Sharing Commmon Space with Others
- Health Care Settings (When Outside of Patient’s Room)
- Non-Healthcare Setting
See Table 2
We hope you stay healthy through this flu season. Let us know if there is anything we can get for you.
Thank you for being an AllegroMedical.com customer. We appreciate your business.