Mobility Scooters are often the perfect solution for those who have difficulty walking, but want to maintain their independence and manage everyday tasks on their own.
It is important that you choose mobility scooters that fit your lifestyle, abilities and plans. Considerations such as where and when the mobility scooter will be used, weight capacity, battery life, maneuverability, ease of transport, scooter speed and leg room can make all the difference in how much you enjoy your scooter. You may consider getting more than one scooter to cover indoor mobility, shopping and portability plus all-terrain mobility, long distances and comfort. Two very difference vehicles.
Mobility scooters are not a good option for those who cannot sit erect for long periods or do not have the manual dexterity or strength to operate the controls.
The most obvious difference between mobility scooters is whether they have 3 wheels or 4 wheels, but the difference is more than just looks. Each has advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages and Disadvantages of 3-Wheel Scooters
- Greater maneuverability than four wheel scooters because of their tighter turning radius
- Well suited for indoor use, or outdoors on paved streets
- Can maneuver well in crowded areas such as the supermarket or department store
- Lighter weight and most can be disassembled for transport
- Plenty of leg room
- Not recommended for uneven terrain outdoors
- Generally less stable than 4-wheel power scooters
- May not be as heavy-duty or durable
Advantages and Disadvantages of 4 Wheel Scooters
- Most reliable when it comes to outdoor use on rough, uneven terrain
- Two wheels in front and back make for a stable ride
- Turning radius is not as tight as most 3-wheel power scooters and may not allow you to maneuver as well within the home or in crowded areas
- Typically wider and therefore less likely to fit down narrow hallways and tight spaces
- Four wheeled scooters tend to be bigger, heavier, faster, more comfortable and more durable
Important: Advances in metals, materials, engineering and battery life are shattering preconceived assumptions about 3 wheeled versus 4 wheeled scooters. Be sure to read the features carefully.
Please call our mobility specialists at 800-861-3211 if you need help choosing your mobility scooter.
And, as always, thank you for being an AllegroMedical.com customer.