With summer in full swing, more people take advantage of the warm temperatures and increasing their physical activity. Whether running/walking, gardening, or even taking the family on a picnic, the last thing anyone needs are sore knees.
The source of pain can be related to arthritis, tendinitis, a sprain, or even bursitis to name a few reasons. Luckily, there are steps to take at home to decrease the discomfort. A few of these include1
- Avoid any weight bearing activities that could heighten the pain.
- Apply ice! Ice helps to reduce any swelling or inflammation by restricting blood vessels. This directly decreases the amount of fluid flowing into the injured tissues.
- Elevate- Keeping the knee propped up on the couch or a stool can help bring swelling down.
- Warm up- especially if your knee pain is sports related. It is also important to avoid downhills or running down stairs which increases the amount of weight/pressure applied to the knee.
- Make sure you are wearing appropriate shoes that are not only comfortable but provide enough support.
- Wear a knee band or another similar strap for support.
AllegroMedical.com carries a variety of icepacks and knee supports as well. A quality inexpensive pack is the Black Polyurethane ColPac. These cold packs range anywhere from 6.5”x11” in size all the way up to 12.5” x 18.5”.
After chilling for two hours, these packs will stay cold for up to 30 minutes. Always remember to place a barrier between your skin and the cold pack to prevent a burn.
If using ice or cold isn’t something you are too keen on, there are many soft goods available. One of the top selling knee bands is the Kneed-IT XM Magnetic Therapeutic Knee Band. With two strategically placed magnets, the support system works to gently absorb force at the knee. The magnets place subtle pressure along the medial (inner) and lateral (outer) soft tissues of the knee. One customer said “it is the most supportive knee brace I have ever worn” and would recommend it to a friend.
Be sure to check out all of Allegro Medical’s knee and cold therapy products. Remember, it is important to follow up with your primary care physician to evaluate the source of pain. They may also be able to prescribe an exercise or physical therapy program to further reduce the pain.
For more than 15 years, AllegroMedical.com has been the leading online distributor of home health and wellness products. Rely on Allegro Medical for all of your pain relief and other health and wellness supplies.
1“Knee Pain.” MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 03 July 2013. <http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003187.htm>.