According to a study by University of Chicago Medical Center, 40% of heat related fatalities are people 65 and older in the United States. According to UC Davis there are many reasons that seniors have more problems with the heat. Heart disease can cause circulatory problems which makes it harder to dissipate the heat. Some seniors are on medications that can cause them to dehydrate faster. Sometimes dementia can lead to the individual not realizing how hot they are.
Here are a couple of ideas to beat the heat this summer!
1. Eat light and drink plenty of water.
2. Change your AC filters regularly. This can not only help your AC run better it will also save you money.
3. Try body cooling products if you have to venture outdoors.
4. Keep the shades or curtains closed to keep the sun out.
5. Avoid strenuous exercise outdoors or exercise in a pool with AquaJogger to keep your temperature down.
6. Use a portable fan in the rooms that you use the most.
Know the signs of heat illness and seek medical attention if you experience the following.
- Rapid heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Breathing problems
It is crucial that we stay in touch with our elderly relatives and neighbors during the summer months. If any of the above symptoms are noticed, please seek medical help immediately.